The practice has brought a number of Health complications to girls and women. Let’s look at some of them:
- Complications during child birth. The scar brings reduction of elasticity of the birth canal. Labour becomes longer and more painful with each subsequent birth
- The hygiene during the procedure is compromised. Tools used are not sterilised between the procedure and this increases the chances of infection under exposure of HIV and AIDS
- Girls with poor immune system find it hard to resist the infection hence compromising their health
- Due to it’s confidenciallity, the girls are not allowed to access medical care should it be required.
- The excess bleeding brought about by the rapture of clitoris may make the girls anaemic.
In kenya, the FGM act 2010 by Fred Kapondi prohibates the act of FGM.
I am glad that you are following my posts. Want to participate in the discussion? Drop a comment.