It’s one week since the closure of schools. Our teenagers must be kept busy to make better use of the energy they have. For those in town, there is no land to till unlike the country side teenagers. No forest to send them to look after cattle. Lockdown locks them just inside the house. It is high time they get enrolled in online classes.
I really miss that time when we used to invite everyone in the neighborhood to come and enjoy our birthday goodies. Not any longer! The company was amazing. The songs and dances not mentioning the happiness that came with sharing. It’s no more fun! We have to keep to the rule of stay home, stay safe, no gathering, keep social distance, no shaking hands and wear mask. The fun that came with being washed in cold water while people cheered is long gone.We have come up with indoor ways to remember this special day though not so entertaining. Yeah! We have to be a bit creative. Isn’t it?
So, yesterday was my birthday, 5July. I couldn’t invite my friends as I used. I couldn’t go shopping anyhowly. I had to make sure I celebrate my birthday through hooks and crooks. Yes, by all means. And so,this is what I did:
Booked the birthday cake online from one of the best bakery. A supermarket that I used to buy my stuff was ready to deliver all what I needed at the door steps. I was good to go! Morning came and everything was in my house by 10am.
I invited my friends through zoom links – an online platform. And believe it or not, at 2pm, we started our celebrations. Everything went on like any other birthday occasion.The only problem was although my friends could sing and enjoy the conversation, they couldn’t taste my cake nor wash me as we used to do it. Those were the shortcomings. All in all, the birthday came and went. I thank God for the gift of life and good health.
The pandemic is making us to be a bit creative….oooh.. I almost forgot…the birthday present/gifts are coming in by online. I have already received some. If you meant to send yours and you didn’t know how to do it, there is the PayPal below. If using your phone, this is my number…254111887814. I will appreciate your good wishes too.
Though we are saying there is a Better side of staying at home …The directives of the lockdown experienced in most of the countries in the world has interfered with the school calendar. To pasue Education, this has made a good number of students find refuge in online classes.
However this has not been always easy as there are a lot of challenges that learners go through during their online lessons. Some of these challenges are:
- Lack of internet connection in rural areas.
- Some parents are not able to meet the extra expenses that come with internet such as paying for home fibre network or buying of bundles.
- There is disruption when lessons are going on such as; poor internet signals, blackouts due to power failure or lack of a quiet place as classes takes place in the houses where other members are going on with their duties causing background noise and interfering with the learners concentration.
- Computer illiteracy. Using computers for online classes needs one to have some skills. While this should be the case, some learners face some challenges when connecting to class or when needed to follow the lesson smoothly.
- Long hours on the screen. When learners are attending their classes, they are expected to be glued to the screen for long hours as all lessons are being taught through computers. If not using a computer, the students is forced to use a mobile phone which makes them struggle a lot reading and navigating to different pages as they take notes from the teacher. In any way, online lessons are causing stress and most of students who were not used to this style of learning have complained of headache and eye problems.
- They are not able to participate fully like in a normal class. Audio and connection issues contribute to this.
- The teacher might not be able to cater for slow learners. After online class, the learner has no other chance to engage with the teacher for the concept that was not well understood.
- Ignorance of some of the parents who don’t care whether the child is learning or not. Technology to them is a bother and should not interfere with their busy schedule. In such a scenario,the learner is disadvantaged.
These challenges are making life difficult to both the child and the parents. See also 5 reasons why parent cannot stay with their children As the dilemma of when schools open continues, it seems that these challenges are not leaving us soon. Due to these challenges , parents asking , Should kenyan students seat for their national exams this year? Get to know the Latest News On Education In Kenya For more, read: https://ciscasquapro.com/education/