Though we are saying there is a Better side of staying at home …The directives of the lockdown experienced in most of the countries in the world has interfered with the school calendar. To pasue Education, this has made a good number of students find refuge in online classes.
However this has not been always easy as there are a lot of challenges that learners go through during their online lessons. Some of these challenges are:
- Lack of internet connection in rural areas.
- Some parents are not able to meet the extra expenses that come with internet such as paying for home fibre network or buying of bundles.
- There is disruption when lessons are going on such as; poor internet signals, blackouts due to power failure or lack of a quiet place as classes takes place in the houses where other members are going on with their duties causing background noise and interfering with the learners concentration.
- Computer illiteracy. Using computers for online classes needs one to have some skills. While this should be the case, some learners face some challenges when connecting to class or when needed to follow the lesson smoothly.
- Long hours on the screen. When learners are attending their classes, they are expected to be glued to the screen for long hours as all lessons are being taught through computers. If not using a computer, the students is forced to use a mobile phone which makes them struggle a lot reading and navigating to different pages as they take notes from the teacher. In any way, online lessons are causing stress and most of students who were not used to this style of learning have complained of headache and eye problems.
- They are not able to participate fully like in a normal class. Audio and connection issues contribute to this.
- The teacher might not be able to cater for slow learners. After online class, the learner has no other chance to engage with the teacher for the concept that was not well understood.
- Ignorance of some of the parents who don’t care whether the child is learning or not. Technology to them is a bother and should not interfere with their busy schedule. In such a scenario,the learner is disadvantaged.
These challenges are making life difficult to both the child and the parents. See also 5 reasons why parent cannot stay with their children As the dilemma of when schools open continues, it seems that these challenges are not leaving us soon. Due to these challenges , parents asking , Should kenyan students seat for their national exams this year? Get to know the Latest News On Education In Kenya For more, read: https://ciscasquapro.com/education/